VC Analyst / Associate Job Description
Role: Investment Professional (VC Analyst / Associate)
Location: San Francisco, CA
Compensation: Competitive within the VC industry
Start Date: Summer 2024
This investment professional will focus on supporting the fund’s investment activities in the retail and financial services industries. She/he will work closely with and as an integral part of our small and collaborative team of investment professionals (which will total 6 with this addition).
Primary responsibilities will include:
- Involvement in all aspects of due diligence on new investments (business analysis, industry thesis, sourcing investments, competitive landscape, business/pricing model, and financial modeling / deal structuring)
- Building proprietary industry executive and start-up founder relationships
- Reading/reviewing business plans and pitch decks
- Working in a strategic capacity with Commerce Ventures’ existing portfolio companies as needed
- Preparing market analyses and presentations to drive investment decisions and for engagement with the firm’s extensive network of corporate relationships
- Investment professional will participate in and be asked to contribute to weekly internal meetings in which new investments and portfolio companies are discussed
Candidates should have up to 3 years of total prior work experience including at a minimum either of:
- +1 year of full-time work experience at a top-tier investment bank or strategy consulting firm
- +1 year of full-time work experience in strategy, business development, partnerships or corporate development
- Any work experience that demonstrates the drive, skills and character required to be successful in a demanding, entrepreneurial and dynamic work environment.
Qualified candidates likely also meet the following criteria:
- Self-starter with superior work ethic and uncompromising personal integrity
- Highly analytical with an interest in sifting through, and identifying trends within, large volumes of data
- Basic understanding of financial modeling and accounting
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial environment with limited supervision (including proactively seeking guidance when needed)
- Passionate about personal development and career mentorship
- Wants to be part of a highly collaborative team, where we all strive to win together
- Excellent interpersonal and networking skills with an ability to develop and maintain effective business relationships
- Undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution, and a demonstrated track record of both academic and professional success
- Currently located or interested in relocating to San Francisco, with the expectation of working in person 3+ days per week as part of our focus on strong, in-office culture
Please note that while interest and experience in the retail and/or financial services industries – either directly as an employee or through transactions/consulting – is preferred, it is not mandatory.
ABOUT COMMERCE VENTURES
Commerce Ventures is an early-stage venture capital firm that invests in technology companies innovating across RetailTech, FinTech, and InsurTech. More broadly, the fund is focused on the Commerce Continuum – Shop (Retail / Commerce), Spend (Payments / Credit), Save (Banking / Investing) and Secure (Insurance). Our team has 60 years of combined venture capital, corporate strategy, deal-making and startup experience in our focus areas. The CV investor base is composed of some of the most relevant / strategic institutions, financial investors and individuals across the financial services and commerce eco-systems.
Our five funds combined represent more than $400 million in committed capital across five funds from strategic investors across the commerce and financial services markets. The firm is actively making new investments from its $158M 4th fund and has recently completed the raise of a similarly sized 5th fund, which the firm anticipates activating for new investments in the first half of 2024.
To date, the firm has invested in over 100 portfolio companies, including category leaders, such as Bill.com (B2B Payments – BILL; $10B mkt cap), Marqeta (Issuing Payments – MQ ; $3B mkt cap), Forter (Fraud Prevention – unicorn), MX (Digital Banking – unicorn), Kin (Homeowners Insurance), Vestwell (401k infrastructure), Socure (Identity Verification – unicorn), Kevel (Retail Media Networks), Canary (Hotel Mgmt Software), Trove (reCommerce) and Narvar (E-commerce SaaS – unicorn).
If you are interested in this role – please send over a note & resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.